"Forevers sont composées des maintenant."
-Emily Dickinson


"I've always admitted that I'm ruled by my passions."
-Elizabeth Taylor


"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
-Mae West


"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the word and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
-E.B. White


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi


"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." -Eleanor Roosevelt


"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." -Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.

"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." -Chris Colfer

Monday, January 13, 2014

Chinese Take-Out... At Home

Hello all!
        I was just thinking, have any of you ever had a specific dish that was so perfectly delicious that when you were all finished and it was all gone you were just so incredibly saddened by the empty plate in front of you? I dare say that that exact thing just recently happened to me earlier this evening. No, it has never happened to me before; ever. But it did today and I just want to share that specific dish with all of you. It is absolutely wonderful.
        The day before yesterday my mother and I had to take my good friend to the airport to catch his plane. :( We were obviously a little poignant from his absence and some comfort food was very much needed. Later on that day we then contemplated on where to eat; just like we always do. Well, long story short, we went to eat Chinese, and you can't go wrong with Chinese. Mmm, I don't know about you... but I'm always in the mood for some GOOD Chinese. Surprisingly enough, I never really branch out when I eat it. I almost always order or get the same exact thing. I did however try a new Chinese dish that day. 
        My mother began to tell me a short blissful story about her father and how he used to adore this specific item. It brought back happy memories for her. I then, wondered over to the buffet bar and placed one on my empty plate to try. I poured one table spoon of the complimenting sauce and I took one bite. I was in Heaven.
        If you appreciate the simplicity and diversity of the single "egg," just like my mom and I do... well then you are sure to be in Heaven too. This breathtaking dish is Egg Foo Yung. I then began to eat two more after the very first. My mom and I being the foodies that we are, we then conversed about this cute little sort of pancake omelet shaped food. It is eggy and very light. Its appearance is sort of like an omelet in the shape of a thin pancake. The choices of foods to mix inside are endless, just like you would imagine an omelet to be. They are light golden brown, slightly crispy on the outside, moist and fluffy on the inside. These certain Chinese omelets are then served with a somewhat thick brownish sauce with a hint of orange to give it that appealing color. The sauce is just perfect, salty like soy sauce but a little sweet and gingery. The sauce is really the perfect match.
        Today, my mom asked me if I wanted to make homemade Egg Foo Yung for dinner this evening. My quick and excited remark was of course "yes!" We then proceeded to go to the store and get the very few ingredients that are needed to make this simple but delicious dish. We had agreed on making shrimp, onion and mushroom Egg Foo Yung. It was no surprise that they were quite appetizing. They were of course better than the ones that we had eaten at the Chinese restaurant.. but then again, food that is homemade always surpasses take out food. But anyway, you didn't think that I was going to go on and on about the wonderful meal I had... twice, and not give you guys something in return. I'm going to give you the recipe of course, that way each and every one of you who stumbles upon this post can then go to their cozy little homes and make some Egg Foo Yung as well. You won't be disappointed.

P.S. If you decide to make your very own Egg Foo Yung, comments are encouraged. I would love to hear all about how the Egg Foo Yunging process is coming along, and what your opinion on the dish is. Post pictures if you like; I am very interested. Enjoy, and Bon Appétit!

-Albany Victoria

Ingredients for Egg Foo Yung:
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 scallions chopped
  • mushrooms chopped (varies to how many you want)
  • white onion (varies to how much onion you want)
  • 8 peeled, cleaned, deveined, and chopped shrimp
  • 1 tsp. of salt
  • 1 tsp. of pepper
Ingredients for sauce:
  • 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth
  • 3 tbsp. of soy sauce
  • 1/8 of a tsp. of ginger
  • 2 tbsp. of oyster sauce

Instructions:

For the Egg Foo Yung you want to crack your 6 large eggs in a relatively medium sized bowl and beat them well. Next if you do not already have your shrimp peeled, cleaned, deveined and chopped do so at this time. Then, add your 2 chopped scallions, the amount of white onion and mushrooms that you prefer, salt and pepper and then your shrimp. Mix your ingredients just a little bit so that everything is coated with the egg. Lastly, you heat up a large pan on the stove and slightly coat the bottom of the pan with vegetable oil so that your Egg Foo Yung does not stick.

Note: If you want your Egg Foo Yung to be in cute little circles, just use any kitchen utensil to form your circle as it slowly cooks on the pan.

As it goes for the sauce, this is fairly easy. Get a pot, or medium sized sauce pan. Add the given amount of ingredients listed above on medium heat and stir thoroughly until relatively thick.

Egg Foo Yung is best served over white long-grained rice with the pairing sauce given to you above. Again, I hope you all try this at home and enjoy it as much as I do.


Egg Foo Yung Served Over A Bed Of White Rice
 

No comments:

Post a Comment