"Forevers sont composées des maintenant."
-Emily Dickinson


"I've always admitted that I'm ruled by my passions."
-Elizabeth Taylor


"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
-Mae West


"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the word and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
-E.B. White


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi


"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." -Eleanor Roosevelt


"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." -Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.

"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." -Chris Colfer

Friday, January 10, 2014

Healthy Is As Healthy Does

        Today is the day everyone. Do you feel sluggish? Do you feel like your body is weighing you down? Do you just not feel quite like yourself? Well here is a little inspiration from my perspective and key to eating healthy on a regular daily basis. Eating healthy can do wonders for a person, and it really can be very simple. We all have those guilty pleasures, but the sooner you acclimate yourself to a healthy eating habit the sooner you will feel better about yourself physically and emotionally. Yes, it is difficult if you do not eat healthy regularly but if you continue with certain healthy eating habits, studies have shown that you can kick any bad habit in just 21 days. If you find enough will power to stick it out for 21 days, chances are you won't find yourself craving anymore sodas, chips and even those atrocious Big Macs that everyone seems to be so fond of.
        Now we all know that I'm not telling you guys something that no one has heard before. This is simply just a little inspiration to nudge the people who seem to not have any self control in the right direction. People may think that they can eat a whole pizza, a bag of chips and then maybe a candy bar and still be on track with their goals if they go to the gym that night. It doesn't work that way unfortunately. You won't see the results that you are looking and striving for. It really is true when they say that "abs are made in the kitchen."
        Some of you may think that healthy food is not very good, but the truth is; it can be very satisfying. All you have to do is experiment and find the certain foods that work for you. Taking control and being aware of the portion sizes in an average meal is very important. Do not overlook or be careless in that area. No need for supplements, wait loss pills, etc. All a person needs to really do for themselves is make smart food choices and cook responsibly. The habit will kick in soon enough. You as a person just needs to have enough determination to know what to eat and what not to eat. I am also not telling people that it is not okay to splurge once in awhile; because we're all human. I mean hey, I had pizza yesterday; twice in fact, but I told myself to order pizza with absolutely no cheese... and I did. And you know what? I will never order another pizza with cheese again. It was just as good without cheese as it usually is with cheese; if not better. Something small like cheese can make a huge difference in your healthy diet. Think about what you're putting into your body, step back for a second and just say to yourself "do I really need that?"
        Another key is to not deprive yourself from your indulgences. Eat the given amount for one serving size and move on with your life. Trust me, I've done that one too many times and it's not the way to go. I have struggled, not necessarily with eating healthy but the fact that I got it in my mind that eating less was the right path. I worked out every single day, did yoga and deprived myself of any carbohydrates, cheese, and junk food. The fact that I was eating much much "less" was simply not working for me and caused me to starve myself. In my experience, I  longed for things that I craved so much but didn't allow myself to eat enough according to my body weight. Eventually, that led to me eating a whole chocolate cake so to speak and then working myself so incredibly hard to burn off all of those calories at the gym that night. It doesn't have to be hard, in fact it can be very simple. Anyone can do it, now get in that kitchen and eat clean.

-Albany Victoria
 
 
Here are a few dishes that I have made for myself on a regular daily basis. Salads are my favorite because they are so versatile. You can make them all completely different, and it keeps you full and your taste buds satisfied. Enjoy!
 
 
Secrets:
  • Keep in mind that store bought dressings are fatty and very heavy. Try to substitute your habit of buying dressings from the store, branch out and make your own homemade vinaigrettes.
  • Try to put a vast variety of lean proteins such as fish or chicken. Also, try to incorporate protein from other food sources such as my personal favorite-edamame's.
  • Make sure you create your food and make it a work of art. Presentation is everything. It keeps you occupied in your food and makes you more conscientious of what you are putting into your body. No one wants to eat something that doesn't look appealing. An assortment of colors is very important.
Tuna with lightly salted edamames, cherries, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and red onions.

Romaine lettuce salad with chopped tomatoes, red onions, edamames, and plump crab meat.
Dressing: Homemade tomato preserves vinaigrette dressing.

Romaine lettuce salad with kidney beans, mushrooms, red onions and peeled and deveined shrimp.
Dressing: Homemade tomato preserves and balsamic vinaigrette.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully put! Great information too! <3 megan ward-smith

    ReplyDelete